Monetizing the YaCy network

Ereignisse, Vorschläge und Aktionen

Monetizing the YaCy network

Beitragvon Kozuch » Di Dez 03, 2013 6:26 pm

Hi guys,

I like this project very much. I know it brings some very innovative technology, but it seems to suffer the usual FOSS sicknesses like small community and limited growth and thus seems to be "yet another FOSS project" only. Have you been thinking about monetizing the network somehow? If there was a commercial incentive why to join the network, crawl, help the index grow and serve it to others, there might be some more potential around. The same way like Bitcoin is taking off - one can (or at least could) make money Bitcoin in various ways (I am not saying that the Bitcoin scheme is sustainable though).

I can imagine setting up a commercial YaCy node (public search portal) that would serve adds and thus could pay for its index storage and bandwidth... something in this way. Do you have any ideal on the commercial potencial?
Kozuch

Re: Monetizing the YaCy network

Beitragvon biolizard89 » Mo Dez 09, 2013 5:26 am

Kozuch hat geschrieben:Hi guys,

I like this project very much. I know it brings some very innovative technology, but it seems to suffer the usual FOSS sicknesses like small community and limited growth and thus seems to be "yet another FOSS project" only. Have you been thinking about monetizing the network somehow? If there was a commercial incentive why to join the network, crawl, help the index grow and serve it to others, there might be some more potential around. The same way like Bitcoin is taking off - one can (or at least could) make money Bitcoin in various ways (I am not saying that the Bitcoin scheme is sustainable though).

I can imagine setting up a commercial YaCy node (public search portal) that would serve adds and thus could pay for its index storage and bandwidth... something in this way. Do you have any ideal on the commercial potencial?

Hmm, so here's a similar idea. Let's say I run a YaCy node locally to perform searches. How about if my node keeps track of the other nodes which served good results to me (this could be based on results which I clicked, or via some other metrics), and periodically I can click a link in my YaCy node which generates a Bitcoin URL which will donate a certain amount of money (which I specify) to those nodes, split proportionally to how many good results were served to me by each node. This incentivises nodes to crawl/index large numbers of sites. Would something like this be workable?
biolizard89

Zurück zu Mitmachen