Is the free world really shrinking?

Keine Scheu, hier darf alles gefragt und diskutiert werden. Das ist das Forum für YaCy-Anfänger. Hier kann man 'wo muss man klicken' fragen und sich über Grundlagen zur Suchmaschinentechnik unterhalten.
Forumsregeln
Hier werden Fragen beantwortet und wir versuchen die Probleme von YaCy-Newbies zu klären. Bitte beantwortete Fragen im YaCy-Wiki http://wiki.yacy.de dokumentieren!

Is the free world really shrinking?

Beitragvon oneaty » Mo Jul 28, 2014 6:54 pm

Well, actually, what I mean is if Yacy's freeworld network is shrinking.

After continuously monitoring my Yacy instance for two months, I noticed a significant decrease in the number of peers connected to the freeworld network, as shown in the graphs below.

Bild

and a detailed view from active peers (which I understand are peers running on senior mode)

Bild

Is this only a seasonal behaviour, like people going out on holiday and shutting their Yacy peers down, or is the freeworld network really loosing strength?

Any thoughts about this are welcome.
oneaty

Re: Is the free world really shrinking?

Beitragvon Orbiter » Di Jul 29, 2014 9:55 am

well it is going up and down, somehow unpredictable like stock prices. The following picture is from yacystats
networkplots_qphyear.png
networkplots_qphyear.png (58.17 KiB) 1845-mal betrachtet

which shows that we have much more peers since last year and that changes with news, politics and perception of good/evil discussions about google and other events.

Unfortunately yacystats is dead (!), can you jump in the gap and provide your graphs on a public server? I have seen the probems with dns you had. Instead of forwarding the graphs to a dyndns account you could just push them frequently using ftp to a web space.
Orbiter

Beitragvon oneaty » Mi Jul 30, 2014 3:35 pm

Instead of forwarding the graphs to a dyndns account you could just push them frequently using ftp to a web space.

Actually, I'm not forwarding the graphs to a dyndns account, but giving direct access to my Cacti server, through a guest account.

Anyway, I like your idea: much simpler, safer and robust.

On my side, I'm ready to send the graphs somewhere.

As for the web space, do you have already one to which I should ftp the graphs? (I'm assuming that those graphs will be made public in your site or anywhere else, right?) In this case, I would need to know username/password.
oneaty

Beitragvon oneaty » Do Jul 31, 2014 12:08 pm

Here's what I'd be sending on an hourly basis (please, see attachment below): a couple of html pages and graph images.

If you start with index.html, you will see four thumbnail graphs.

If you click on each of them, you will be redirected to other html page where you will see details for each graph.

If you don't want to use this html structure, only the graph images, you just have to determine which image you want and then pick it from the graphs subdirectory.

Please note that the graphs transmission cycle doesn't reflect on the graphs granularity: even if I choose to send the graphs once a day, they will stil get the 1 minute granularity (I set Cacti poller to run every minute)

So, the only thing I need is an ftp account where to send the graphs. Any suggestion on this will be appreciated.

ATTACHMENT: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8FDexrYy_FKem5wR2J0MjFvazQ/edit?usp=sharing
oneaty

Beitragvon oneaty » Sa Aug 02, 2014 1:10 pm

ok, for now, I managed to upload the graphs to ucoz.com, the only free web hosting company that allows ftp.

On my side, I created a script that uploads the graphs on an hourly basis.

The link is http://yacystats.ucoz.com/

By clicking on each graph, you'll get different types of granularity.

I'm just still not sure if ucoz.com will keep this site forever, or if they will consider that it is not being updated frequently.
oneaty

Zurück zu Hilfe für Einsteiger und Anwender