Where to post basic start questions in English?

Discussion in English language.
Forumsregeln
You can start and continue with posts in english language in all other forums as well, but if you are looking for a forum to start a discussion in english, this is the right choice.

Where to post basic start questions in English?

Beitragvon Astara » Di Jan 21, 2014 10:59 pm

I'm trying to find:
1) Where I am supposed to post.
2) Where to see / find English interface (I see Forum rules, but do not understand).
3) Am trying to start with basic index of file on my internal network, but it isn't "crawling"...
(I am using URL's like file://D:/ -- where all my Documents are). But see nothing being scanned...

Have selected intranet search, but it doesn't descend into the directory -- only telling me filenames at the top level.

Looks like a neat project, but seems to have high learning curve... ;-(
Astara

Re: Where to post basic start questions in English?

Beitragvon Orbiter » Mi Jan 22, 2014 12:07 pm

alright, your question is valid: a new user cannot start an english posting because there is no space for that. Therefore I just created this new forum section for english postings. I moved you posting here, therefore it becomes the first posting in this new forum.

your Questions:

1) - here :D
2) I believe it is possible to set a language when you subscribe to the forum. The naviagtion should then be in english, but I never tried... The forum rules are in german, yes, therefore I started this forum section. We do not have the variety of discussion topics here, so there is also not a variety of forum rules in english.
3) on windows, I believe you must use the backslash as separator, like "file://D:\" but it may be the case that you must mask every backslash with another one because it is treated as escape character, like "file://D:\\".
Orbiter

Beitragvon Astara » Mi Jan 22, 2014 5:15 pm

Orbiter hat geschrieben:alright, your question is valid: a new user cannot start an english posting because there is no space for that. Therefore I just created this new forum section for english postings. I moved you posting here, therefore it becomes the first posting in this new forum.

I hate being on the bleeding edge.... :oops:

2) I believe it is possible to set a language when you subscribe to the forum. The naviagtion should then be in english, but I never tried... The forum rules are in german, yes, therefore I started this forum section. We do not have the variety of discussion topics here, so there is also not a variety of forum rules in english.

Well, better not many rules -- harder for me to worry about breaking them.

3) on windows, I believe you must use the backslash as separator, like "file://D:\" but it may be the case that you must mask every backslash with another one because it is treated as escape character, like "file://D:\\".

Firefox and IE both use '/'.

Also, tried the suse linux version -- same result (my 'D:' is really a Documents directory on my linux server exported with Samba).

Can try it with '\\', but I think that would cause more problems -- not sure.

Thanks!
Astara

Beitragvon Orbiter » Mi Jan 22, 2014 5:49 pm

ah! a D: on linux! Then forget about the backslash. The problem ist probably this:
you must give an absolute path! That starts with /, if your path D: is at root /, then the url is:
file:///D:/

(3x '/'!)

see also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_URI_scheme#Unix
like: file:///etc/fstab
Orbiter

Zurück zu English