How to get YACY working as a proxy

Discussion in English language.
Forumsregeln
You can start and continue with posts in english language in all other forums as well, but if you are looking for a forum to start a discussion in english, this is the right choice.

How to get YACY working as a proxy

Beitragvon chetwisniewski » Mo Mär 17, 2014 6:12 am

I have Yacy 1.68 set up on a Arch Linux server in my home office. I want to use it as a proxy for both IPv6 and IPv4 traffic from my internal systems. Whenever I point my browser at the server (10.144.0.255:8090) I get the error:

Code: Alles auswählen
HTTP ERROR: 403

Problem accessing /. Reason:

proxy use not allowed.

Powered by Jetty://

I have added my IP range (10.* and 2001:470:b:1fb.*) to the IP number filter:

yacy.conf:proxyClient=localhost,127\.0\.0\.1,192\.168\..*,10\..*,0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1.*,2001:470:b:1fb.*

Any ideas what might be wrong? How do I troubleshoot?

Chet
chetwisniewski

Re: How to get YACY working as a proxy

Beitragvon David » Mo Mär 24, 2014 8:00 pm

Hi,

Do you have «Transparent Proxy» enabled under «Advanced Settings / HTTP Networking»?
David

Beitragvon chetwisniewski » Mi Mär 26, 2014 10:38 pm

No, should I?
chetwisniewski

Beitragvon chetwisniewski » So Mär 30, 2014 5:56 am

OK, I tried that and now it works. This is poorly documented. I am not trrying to use Yacy as a transparent proxy so it never occured to me that I should need to turn this on,
chetwisniewski

Beitragvon xioc752 » Mi Nov 26, 2014 11:37 pm

If our admin & user pages are not visible in our cloud installation because of this message

Problem accessing /. Reason:

proxy use not allowed (see Advanced Settings -> HTTP Networking -> Transparent Proxy; switched off).
Powered by Jetty://

What file do we change and what is required and where is it please?

We moved the DATA folder from the installation, in Ubuntu used sudo apt-get remove yacy and then reinstalled it with sudo apt-get install yacy
and yet the same message reappears in the new install.
What is wrong and how to fix it manually please?
Many thanks!
xioc752

Beitragvon Erik_S » Do Nov 27, 2014 10:55 am

Hello,

xioc752 hat geschrieben:our admin & user pages are not visible in our cloud installation because of this message
This Message is caused by a Bug in YaCy.
You have the "transparent Proxy" disabled, this is correct if you do not want to route all your HTTP-Traffic to the public Internet through your YaCy-Peers. The lead through of information through a YaCy-Peer is only necessary/useful if your Peer must crawl all this informations for adding it to its local Index. If your local Index is only used for Data from your local Intranet and you use the dedicated Crawler-Jobs of your YaCy-Peers for crawling it, then you should not use the transparent Proxy in YaCy.
The Problem is caused by the design decision for using the same TCP-Port for the Proxy and for the HTTP-Server (that serves the admin & user pages). That means there must be a piece of Code that decide for all incoming connections which internal service (Proxy or HTTP-Server) must handle the incoming connection. This kind of decision can not be perfect for all possible situations, and it seems that you have a situation that trigger the problem. In your situation YaCy decides that the incoming connection (your accesses to the admin & user pages) should handled by the Proxy, but the Proxy is disabled and respond with the well known 403-Error-Page.

There exist at the moment no real workaround for this problem, but sometimes it can help to restart the YaCy-Peer.

Greetings
Erik
Erik_S

Beitragvon xioc752 » Fr Nov 28, 2014 10:46 pm

Thank you very kindly for your most interestingly detailed & educational reply.
I am concerned that the error was accidently - induced -, however, and not the result of an environmental problem.
It worked before.

The server is in Robinson mode, one of 2 separate servers that read each other but do not write to each other.
Each server has its own collection of topic focused RSS instructions that repeat daily or more frequently and individual URLs that are inserted via "Advanced Crawler": items to ALSO crawl & index from the open Internet.
There is no intranet.

Searches go to one of the servers, and to generate results, that consults its own and the remote server solr files.

The error comes, I believe, from a mistake I made in configuration of the proxy choices. Lack of experience.
Can you tell me please what is the file and where & how can I edit it to the correct 'default' setting?
It worked before I made the mistaken proxy instruction change.

Hence, the result of the error in configuration is as described before. There is so little documentation on this issue. =Newbie problem
You are so experienced in this. Perhaps you could pm me, please? Thank you very kindly.
xioc752

Beitragvon Erik_S » Sa Nov 29, 2014 1:10 pm

Hello,

xioc752 hat geschrieben:Thank you very kindly for your most interestingly detailed & educational reply.
I do my best, i hope my terrible englisch is not a big problem.

xioc752 hat geschrieben:I am concerned that the error was accidently - induced -, however, and not the result of an environmental problem.
It worked before.
Here i have an other opinion.
The Code that decides between handling of incoming connections by Proxy or by HTTP-Server is not configurable, it uses the YaCy-internal view about your environment for its decision.
This Code ask the question "Is this incoming connection for my YaCy-Peer?" and do test the Host-Field in the HTTP-Request-Header of the incoming connection against the YaCy-internal view about your environment. If the Code thinks the requested Host-Name in the incoming HTTP-Connection means the Computer on witch YaCy runs than the incoming connection is handled by the HTTP-Server and in all other cases the incoming connection is handled by the Proxy, independent from the Enable-State of the Proxy. As far as i know, independent from all configuration. This decision depends only on the YaCy-internal view about its environment and this internal View can change over time. Some YaCy-Peers have a real problem by detecting all IP-Addresses owned by the Computer and than it cannot correctly decide, for all incoming connections on all IP-Addresses, that the connections targets the YaCy-Peer itself. That means the 403-Error can depend on the IP-Address entered into the Address-Line of your Browser, in cases you use directly the IP-Address of the Computer where YaCy runs. The same problem exist for Host-Names, if you access a YaCy-Peer on a Computer by a textual Host-Name than the addressed YaCy-Peer must "know" that the Host-Name is owned by its Computer. This Kind of Informations can never be complete (there exist an infinite number of ways to addressing a computer) and there exist always a gap in the YaCy-internal view about its environment that trigger the 403-Error-Problem.

The only real solution for this Problem is to split the HTTP-Server and the Proxy to two independent TCP-Ports and removing the Decision-Code for selection the "correct" Service. A short workaround for the meantime can be a change of the Decision-Code for using always the HTTP-Server in cases there the Proxy is disabled but this removes the Problem only for the People that do not use the Proxy. Removing the entire Proxy completely can also be a solution, because the usefulness of the Proxy-Crawler decreases by the increasing of encryption in the Internet. In all ways, this must be done by the developers of YaCy and not by the Users of YaCy.

In this forum, we talk about this Problem for months. You are not the first YaCy-User that observe that this Error-Message comes or goes without any modification on the YaCy-Peer or the way to accessing it.

xioc752 hat geschrieben:The error comes, I believe, from a mistake I made in configuration of the proxy choices.
If you do not want to use the internal Proxy of the YaCy-Peer than disable it, there is nothing else that you can do.

xioc752 hat geschrieben:Perhaps you could pm me, please?
In my opinion, there is nothing that i can do for you, sorry. I am not one of the YaCy-Developers.

Greetings
Erik
Erik_S

Beitragvon xioc752 » Sa Nov 29, 2014 4:02 pm

Ah, thank you! You are most kind to explain this.
Apparently, I am not alone - though it provides little comfort when neither the admin nor the user end displays.

Please regarding to your comment
xioc752 wrote:
The error comes, I believe, from a mistake I made in configuration of the proxy choices.
If you do not want to use the internal Proxy of the YaCy-Peer than disable it, there is nothing else that you can do.

could you please tell me the name of the file, where it is, and the line or reference and what to change it to to reverse the problem?
You wil remember that the error message is as follows
Problem accessing /Status.html. Reason:

proxy use not allowed (see Advanced Settings -> HTTP Networking -> Transparent Proxy; switched off).

hence we need to opposite condition - which I hope will 'cure' the problem.
Thanks for your generous and kind help & advice!
xioc752

Beitragvon Erik_S » Sa Nov 29, 2014 6:39 pm

Hello,

xioc752 hat geschrieben:hence we need to opposite condition - which I hope will 'cure' the problem.
The opposite is an enabled Proxy. But neither the admin pages nor the user pages of the internal HTTP-Server are reachable through the Proxy. The Problem is not inside the Proxy or its configuration, the problem is inside the small piece of Code that decide witch internal Service (Proxy or HTTP-Server) should handle an incoming connection. If this small piece of Code decide that an incoming connection must handled by the proxy than you can not reach the admin or user pages of the internal HTTP-Server. The problem is not the street behind the junction/intersection, the problem is the decision on the junction/intersection. But this decision is not controllable / configurable by the user.

Okay, the real problem is that this kind of decision can never be perfect for all possible ways to access a Computer with TCP/IP. That means the real problem is not inside the small piece of Code, the real problem is the existence of this Code. The only effective way to solve this problem is to remove this small piece of Code completely and to use a design that do not need this kind of Code.

I am sorry for saying this but there is nothing that you or i can do, the only persons that can do something are the developers of YaCy. Perhaps you could report this problem as Bug.
You can try to change the environment or you can try to change the way you use to access the Peer (switch from plain IP-Addresses to Host-Names or something similar) but beyond that, i can do nothing for you, sorry.

Greetings
Erik
Erik_S

Beitragvon Orbiter » Di Dez 02, 2014 4:59 pm

Erik_S hat geschrieben:The Problem is caused by the design decision for using the same TCP-Port for the Proxy and for the HTTP-Server (that serves the admin & user pages). That means there must be a piece of Code that decide for all incoming connections which internal service (Proxy or HTTP-Server) must handle the incoming connection. This kind of decision can not be perfect for all possible situations, and it seems that you have a situation that trigger the problem.

well, the decision does very well use the definition of access rules to http services and proxy services, both use the same GET command with all the http properties attached, the ONLY difference is, that after the GET comes a single path if that is an access to a web server and a complete URL if that access is an access to a http proxy. This difference is so easy to detect that it would be absurd to open for that an extra port and a whole new server.

@chetwisniewski
- what kind of client do you use to access YaCy (i.e. which browser?)

I believe the problem comes from the fact that you configured a proxy in your browser. If so, just switch that off.
Orbiter

Beitragvon Erik_S » Mi Dez 03, 2014 12:01 am

Hello,

Orbiter hat geschrieben:the ONLY difference is, that after the GET comes a single path if that is an access to a web server and a complete URL if that access is an access to a http proxy. This difference is so easy to detect
I have seen a lot HTTP-Connections of this Type:
GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: [IPv6-Address]:8090
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Language: de,en;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Referer: http://yacy.info/
Connection: keep-alive

HTTP/1.1 403 proxy use not allowed (see Advanced Settings -> HTTP Networking -> Transparent Proxy; switched off).
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 22:22:16 GMT
Cache-Control: must-revalidate,no-cache,no-store
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Length: 375
Server: Jetty(9.2.3.v20140905)

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1"/>
<title>Error 403 </title>
</head>
<body>
<h2>HTTP ERROR: 403</h2>
<p>Problem accessing /. Reason:
<pre>    proxy use not allowed (see Advanced Settings -&gt; HTTP Networking -&gt; Transparent Proxy; switched off).</pre></p>
<hr /><i><small>Powered by Jetty://</small></i>
</body>
</html>
to some different YaCy-Peers. The 403-Error does not depend on Browser, it does depend on the Host-Parameter in the HTTP-Request (Line 2 in the Quote).

I have Wireshark-Traces about HTTP-Connections to your Peer, some with 403-Error and some with 200-Success, all of this with a "GET / HTTP/1.1" HTTP-Command. The only Difference is the Host-Parameter in the HTTP-Requests, some Host-Names/IP-Addresses are always accepted, some Host-Names/IP-Addresses are sometimes accepted and sometimes rejected (depend on the actual YaCy-Internal View of its environment) and some Host-Names are always rejected. On IP-Level: all Connections go to the same IPv6-Addresse (the one with ":??FF:FE??:")!

Even my yacyDNS-Tool get sometimes an 403-Error and it use always the simple GET-Variant and always the correct Host-Name for the accessed YaCy-Peer.

Greetings
Erik
Erik_S

Beitragvon Erik_S » Sa Dez 06, 2014 12:12 pm

Hello,

3 days without any reaction, that makes me sad. Is for this problem really nothing to write? Can anybody confirm or refute my observations about the HTTP/Proxy-Problems in YaCy?
In this forum we talk since more than 2 months about the 403-HTTP-Error and it seems that the responsible developer do not have any analysis (made by himself) about it.
I offered my help for resolving problems on the IP-communication-level multiple times, always without any reaction. There are many problems.

Orbiter, the truth is, your nonreaction is exactly the (by me) expected reaction.
The real reason for my sadness is the fact that YaCy is a very cool project and the idea behind YaCy has a big potential. But without the needed work on the basics (IP-communication is a basic engine for a Peer-to-Peer-Search-Application) this project would die.

Greetings
Erik
Erik_S

Beitragvon Orbiter » Di Dez 09, 2014 2:06 am

actually, I have never seen this bug myself and I pointed out that too heavy problems with the proxy will cause that I will remove the proxy instead of fixing this. Currently there are very much other things much more pressing than a function that I do not want to support and where I not even can recognize a problem.

But here is the solution:
- get your hands on the code
- submit a fix
Orbiter

Beitragvon Erik_S » Mi Dez 10, 2014 7:08 pm

Hello,

Orbiter hat geschrieben:actually, I have never seen this bug myself
Sure? I can not believe!
I have send you a Link to your Peer that always result in an 403-Error, has you tested it?
If i use yacy.info/ from an IPv6-enabled Internet-Connection comes approximate 20 percent of all randomly showed Peers with an 403-Error. Try it.
If you want i can send you a list of YaCy-Peers that mostly respond with an 403-Error (but only as PN, i will respect the privacy of the peer owners).

Orbiter hat geschrieben:and I pointed out that too heavy problems with the proxy will cause that I will remove the proxy instead of fixing this.
This Problem is not inside the Proxy, this problem is in front of the Proxy. And this Problem does not affect the Proxy, this problem does affect the internal HTTP-Server and this is (in my opinion) a very important part of the YaCy-Software.

Orbiter hat geschrieben:other things much more pressing
This is a hit in xioc752's face. He runs two YaCy-Peers and 50 percent of this are not accessible, in my opinion this is a very high pressure.

Orbiter hat geschrieben:a function that I do not want to support
Okay, you will not support the proxy (i do understand this) but do you want to support the HTTP-Server?

Orbiter hat geschrieben:and where I not even can recognize a problem
It may be that you are not able to see this problem but you can ask us.

Orbiter hat geschrieben:But here is the solution:
- get your hands on the code
- submit a fix
Sure? I have offered my help multiple times, always without any reaction. And now this, why?

Greetings
Erik
Erik_S

Beitragvon Orbiter » Mi Dez 10, 2014 9:35 pm

I tried yacy.info which worked fine without exceptions. I reloaded about 20 times without one error.
I looked into the YaCy http server code (again) there is not even a code line which contains the number "403" or HttpServletResponse.SC_FORBIDDEN.
From my view this error does not exist and there is no code that it can produce.

Erik_S hat geschrieben:
Orbiter hat geschrieben:other things much more pressing
This is a hit in xioc752's face.

From a moderators point of view, this is a far too inappropriate proposition to be acceptable.
As a forum moderator I suggest you take a time-out from this place.
Orbiter

Beitragvon Erik_S » Sa Dez 13, 2014 1:11 pm

Hello,

Orbiter hat geschrieben:From a moderators point of view, this is a far too inappropriate proposition to be acceptable.
Sorry, for my hard words.

In my Opinion, from a users point of view, it is far too inappropriate than a developer of a software write a not working software is not enough pressure for doing anything. What kind of problem can be more pressure (from the point of view of an affected user) than a completely not working software? I can not believe that xioc752 is glad to read this kind of statement from the developer of a software he use. Near a statement that means it is a fact that his Browser is misconfigured, in a scenario that clearly proves that the Browser is not the problem (one of two Peers is successful accessible, probably with the same Browser, and the Proxy in YaCy is disabled that means with a Browser that use this Proxy is nothing reachable).

Orbiter hat geschrieben:From my view this error does not exist
In this forum is the 403-Error reported multiple times by multiple users:
/viewtopic.php?t=5177
/viewtopic.php?t=5219#p30095
/viewtopic.php?t=5254
/viewtopic.php?t=5393
/viewtopic.php?t=5422#p31338 (okay, this is the current problem and it may not count here)
If you really mean this Error does not exist, why is it reported so many times by so many different people?
Most of the reported scenarios describe that only some ways for accessing a YaCy-Peer does not work and other ways does work, this fact implies that the used Browsers are not misconfigured (in the way you write here (last line)).

If you really mean this Error does not exist, what do my Browser wrong in my test here? (the Code-Snippet is one complete TCP-Connection)

Orbiter hat geschrieben:there is no code that it can produce
How can it be? A real existing Error without erroneous Code?
It may be a problem that is created by the interaction between multiple pieces of Code, or by a presumption of one piece of Code about an other piece of Code.

Orbiter hat geschrieben:I looked into the YaCy http server code (again) there is not even a code line which contains the number "403" or HttpServletResponse.SC_FORBIDDEN.
Yes, this is exactly that i did expect. I think the 403-HTTP-Response comes from inside of the Proxy. In the HTTP-Server-Front-End exist a piece of Code that distinguish between HTTP-Server and Proxy, and a wrong decision (using the Proxy instead of using the HTTP-Server) results in the well known 403-HTTP-Response. From the point of view of the Proxy, the 403-Error is correct, in cases the Proxy is disabled or not usable by the Client-IP-Address. The problem is not the 403-Error from the Proxy, the problem is produced by using the Proxy for accesses that must handled by the HTTP-Server. You should look for Code that do the decision between Proxy and HTTP-Server.

Please tell me what is the function/intention of "net.yacy.cora.protocol.Domains.isLocal()". It seems that it is used in "net.yacy.http.YacyDomainHandler.handle()" for the decision between local and nonlocal HTTP-Destinations.

If this is the wrong spoor, i have written that i can reliable produce the 403-Error on your YaCy-Peer (last tested a few minutes ago). Why not inserting a Stack-Trace-Dump into the Handler for "HttpServletResponse.SC_FORBIDDEN" and tell me the time when i should access your Peer and you can see the reason of the 403-Error in your Log-File? If you want i can tell you my IP-Address before this test, this makes it possible to log with Wireshark only the interesting HTTP-Access and you must not trust on me if i say my Browser use only the simple GET-Command-Variant.

I think there are a lot of possible ways to produce and observe this Error, we must just do it.

@xioc752:
i was wrong, the decision code seems to be configurable:
Insert a line with "network.unit.domain = any" into your %yacy-home%/DATA/SETTINGS/yacy.conf or set the value to "any" if a line with "network.unit.domain =" is already present.
This configuration-line sets the property "isAllIPMode" to 'true' and this sets the property "noLocalCheck" to 'true'. In the class "net.yacy.cora.protocol.Domains" exists some methods "isLocal()", as far as i can see this methods decides for every incoming HTTP-Request it is for the local YaCy-Peer (and handled by the internal HTTP-Server) or it is for an external resource (and handled by the Proxy), and this decision depends on the property "noLocalCheck" (among other properties). But please be warned, the property "AllIPMode" seems to be responsible for a lot of other internal features in YaCy and may have interesting side effects.

Greetings
Erik
Erik_S

Beitragvon Erik_S » Mi Dez 17, 2014 4:40 pm

Hello,

Orbiter hat geschrieben:But here is the solution: [....] submit a fix
Okay, i think the problem can be provisional solved in File "source/net/yacy/search/Switchboard.java":
Change Lines 924 / 1443 from
Domains.setNoLocalCheck(isAllIPMode());
to
Domains.setNoLocalCheck(isAllIPMode() | !(this.getConfigBool("isTransparentProxy",false)));
I hope this will disable the Local-IP-Check if the internal Proxy is disabled by the Peer-Configuration. That means that all incoming Connections are always handled by the HTTP-Server because the Check is completely avoided if the internal Proxy is disabled. This is variant 2 from this Post.

Your Peer is still reliable responding with a 403-Error for accesses with the Link (i have sent you with a PM), i think there is a really good chance for removing this problem.

Orbiter hat geschrieben:From a moderators point of view ....
As a forum moderator ....
Okay, i think your suggestion is right, from a moderators point of view.
But one question is open: what could be the correct answer from a developers point of view?
I mean the answer for my (hard) criticism.

Greetings
Erik
Erik_S

Beitragvon xioc752 » Fr Dez 26, 2014 4:16 pm

We are needing to index everything locally, so this means we need to turn this ON.
These are independent Robinson servers, that read each other but write locally.
How do we turn that on manually, please? We do not have access to the admin screens, obviously
As written elsewhere
Do you have «Transparent Proxy» enabled under «Advanced Settings / HTTP Networking»?

Apparently it is this that needs resetting manually, but where is it and what to do, please?
Thanks

We wrote:
xioc752 hat geschrieben:our admin & user pages are not visible in our cloud installation because of this message

You wrote:
This Message is caused by a Bug in YaCy.
You have the "transparent Proxy" disabled, this is correct if you do not want to route all your HTTP-Traffic to the public Internet through your YaCy-Peers. The lead through of information through a YaCy-Peer is only necessary/useful if your Peer must crawl all this informations for adding it to its local Index.

Many thanks
xioc752

Beitragvon frier » Do Jan 01, 2015 11:05 pm

I solved this error by going to /Settings_p.html?page=ServerAccess and setting the staticIP to the external IP instead of the IP address behind the firewall.
frier

Beitragvon xioc752 » Fr Jan 02, 2015 7:03 pm

HI... thank you for the idea
However, when I did that, I still got this kind of message:

Problem accessing /Settings_p.html. Reason:

How do I get behind this into the area where this is ' decided ' please.
Many thanks!
xioc752

Beitragvon Slntswrd » Mo Apr 20, 2015 4:12 pm

Hi

I see that this thread is quite old , but I don't see any solution posted...

If you can access to machine locally (or with ssh) you can manually change the configuration file yacy.conf with a text editor
in this file you can looking for isTransparentproxy=false, then change in true

for the part of:
I solved this error by going to /Settings_p.html?page=ServerAccess and setting the staticIP to the external IP instead of the IP address behind the firewall.

in yacy.conf you can also edit : StaticIP=
and fill it manually.

after editing you need to restar yacy
Cheers to all!
Slntswrd

Beitragvon davide » So Okt 18, 2015 11:47 am

I too get a HTTP 403 "proxy use not allowed (see System Administration -> Advanced Settings -> Proxy Access Settings -> Transparent Proxy; switched off)" when accessing the web servlet by its DNS hostname. Instead it works fine when accessed by IP address.

The solution is to route all traffic into a reverse proxy which replaces the "Host" filed with its local IP address.
davide

Zurück zu English