Question about YaCy indexing

Discussion in English language.
Forumsregeln
You can start and continue with posts in english language in all other forums as well, but if you are looking for a forum to start a discussion in english, this is the right choice.

Question about YaCy indexing

Beitragvon nap » Do Mär 20, 2014 3:36 pm

I'm a little confused about how indexing in YaCy works. According to this page: http://yacy.de/en/Join.html , I can help YaCy by running a public peer. But I don't understand how simply running a public peer would help other peers in the network. I would have to crawl websites through the administration interface and build indexes as well, wouldn't I? Because otherwise I have nothing to share with my peers.

This topic: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5116 seems to suggest that YaCy automatically indexes the pages I visit on my browser. Is this true? How does YaCy even know what pages I'm visiting? (my HTTP requests don't go through YaCy at all).
nap

Re: Question about YaCy indexing

Beitragvon sixcooler » Do Mär 20, 2014 4:30 pm

Hello nap,

running a Senior-Peer already does help the network by receiving DHT. With this the index-data will grow and will be used for search-requests.
Starting a crawl will also help enrich the the index of the network.

Indexing pages You visit can be done by using YaCy as a Web-Proxy of your browser.
Toggle transparent Proxy to be on at /Status.html and configure the browser to use 127.0.0.1 (port 8090) as proxy for http.
But using yacy as proxy has some limitations on some sites.
Pages with personal data will not be indexed.

cu, sixcooler.
sixcooler

Re: Question about YaCy indexing

Beitragvon nap » Sa Mär 22, 2014 7:21 am

Thanks sixcooler! That's exactly what I wanted to know. :)
nap

Zurück zu English