Having trouble with port forwarding

Discussion in English language.
Forumsregeln
You can start and continue with posts in english language in all other forums as well, but if you are looking for a forum to start a discussion in english, this is the right choice.

Having trouble with port forwarding

Beitragvon erkofle » Sa Dez 20, 2014 8:09 pm

Hello, I would very much like to contribute my index to the network, but I am having trouble with port forwarding.

I'm running Yacy 1.8/9000 on a Macintosh with Yosemite connected to the Internet through a wire. My ISP is Cablevision/Optimum Online.

I have opened both ports 8090 and 8443 on my router, and I've tested that they're open using the Network Utility in OS X, but Yacy still says that my peer can't be reached from the outside. I've tried restarting Yacy several times, without success.

I've also tried opening different ports, 9090 and 9443, both of which I also tested with network utility, with no effect. (Of course, I also changed the ports Yacy looks for in the administration menus.)

My ISP blocks both ports 80 and 25, but I have a feeling that isn't the problem. Optimum Online does give the option of opening these ports, and so I opened port 80, again with no effect.

Might anyone know what the problem is?
erkofle

Re: Having trouble with port forwarding

Beitragvon Erik_S » So Dez 21, 2014 10:31 am

Hello,

you can try canyouseeme.org or webpagetest.org with your IP-Address + Port.
If both Tests are positive, you can check with yacy.info/tool_test for a correct response of a real YaCy-Peer. But please be warned, this Test is still under development and gives currently only a simple Okay/NotOkay-Answer.

Greetings
Erik
Erik_S

Beitragvon erkofle » So Dez 21, 2014 4:29 pm

Thank you, Eric S.

I tried two of sites, and I think I see part of the problem...

(First, I'm not sure how I would test the ports on webpagetest...)

The IP addresses in my router settings and on canyouseeme and yacy are different. The one on my router is called "internal IP." When I tried to change my router settings to match the IP address on the websites, It said "Server IP address must be a LAN IP address" and changed it back to the original IP.

On canyouseeme.org, it does not let me change the IP address. When I enter the ports I opened on my router, it says it can not see it my service.

On the Yacy test site, when I enter my internal IP, nd ports it says "Get Not global Unicast-IP-Address."

If I enter the IP it says I have, (which is the same one canyouseeme.org thinks I have) it waits for a while, and then says "No valid Yacy peer found."
erkofle

Beitragvon Erik_S » So Dez 21, 2014 7:54 pm

Hello,

erkofle hat geschrieben:(First, I'm not sure how I would test the ports on webpagetest...)
The Link with an IP-Address has this form: "1.2.3.4:8090/" (the IP-Address must be your public/external IP-Address)

erkofle hat geschrieben:The IP addresses in my router settings and on canyouseeme and yacy are different. The one on my router is called "internal IP." When I tried to change my router settings to match the IP address on the websites, It said "Server IP address must be a LAN IP address" and changed it back to the original IP.
This is correct. It seems you use a NAT-Router, please see to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_ad ... ranslation for more details.
An internal IP-Address is only valid/usable inside your local Network, and in a local Network are typical only private/internal IP-Addresses usable/available.

erkofle hat geschrieben:On canyouseeme.org, it does not let me change the IP address. When I enter the ports I opened on my router, it says it can not see it my service.
The problem may be the Configuration of your Router, please look into the manual of your Router for correct configuration of a Port-Forwarding. An alternative can be UPnP, if your Router does support it, your YaCy-Peer may be able to use this protocol for opening the Port-Forwarding automatically if enabled. An other possible reason can be a port-blocking by your ISP.

erkofle hat geschrieben:On the Yacy test site, when I enter my internal IP, nd ports it says "Get Not global Unicast-IP-Address."
This is also correct, private/internal IP-Addresses are not usable on the global/public Internet.

erkofle hat geschrieben:If I enter the IP it says I have, (which is the same one canyouseeme.org thinks I have) it waits for a while, and then says "No valid Yacy peer found."
The short time is the timeout for creating a TCP-Connection from my Server to your Computer and it seems that your Router or your Computer does not responds to my Server. Probably is the Port-Forwarding in your Router not working correctly or the Connection is blocked by an other reason.

What do your router think about your public IP-Address? Is it the same as reported by canyouseeme.org or yacy.info?

Greetings
Erik
Erik_S

Beitragvon erkofle » Mo Dez 22, 2014 2:46 am

The problem may be the Configuration of your Router, please look into the manual of your Router for correct configuration of a Port-Forwarding. An alternative can be UPnP, if your Router does support it, your YaCy-Peer may be able to use this protocol for opening the Port-Forwarding automatically if enabled. An other possible reason can be a port-blocking by your ISP.

Here are the instructions for configuring port forwarding on my router. I think I followed them correctly...

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24046

UPnP is on, and in the Yacy configuration I see a green checkmark next to "Configure your router for Yacy," but in system monitoring, it still says the peer can not be found.

Update: Suddenly, the green checkmark has been replaced with "Configuration was not successful. This may take a moment."

What do your router think about your public IP-Address? Is it the same as reported by canyouseeme.org or yacy.info?

I think it's different. I have the internal IP and a different IP, which one can use to connect to the router over the internet. It is in the router settings. It is different from the IP given in canyouseeme and yacy.info.
erkofle

Beitragvon Erik_S » Mo Dez 22, 2014 9:38 am

Hello,

erkofle hat geschrieben:I have the internal IP and a different IP, which one can use to connect to the router over the internet. It is in the router settings. It is different from the IP given in canyouseeme and yacy.info.
This could be the root-cause of your problem, it seems your ISP use Carrier-Grade-NAT and this makes it impossible for you to offer a public/global accessible Service. Please ask your ISP for giving you a real IP-Address or (even better) for real IPv6-Connectivity. If your ISP is not able to do so, your only chance is an exchange of your ISP.

erkofle hat geschrieben:It is different from the IP given in canyouseeme and yacy.info.
canyouseeme and yacy.info show the Source-IP-Address of your incoming connection. If it differs from the "external" IP-Address of your Router (the Source-IP-Address of any outgoing Connection from your Router), there is an additional Address-Translation between your Router and the real public Internet. This "between" is your ISP.

Greetings
Erik
Erik_S

Beitragvon erkofle » Mo Dez 22, 2014 8:25 pm

I see, OK, yes, that is probably the problem. I'll talk with my ISP.

Thanks again, Erik and happy holidays.
erkofle

Zurück zu English