User poll: feasible, but missing feature?

Discussion in English language.
Forumsregeln
You can start and continue with posts in english language in all other forums as well, but if you are looking for a forum to start a discussion in english, this is the right choice.

User poll: feasible, but missing feature?

Beitragvon Orbiter » Fr Jan 30, 2015 1:03 am

Here is a question to all actual and potential users: what kind of feature would you like to have?
This question is not addressing large, complex function but feasible features that would increase the usability strongly.

Suggestions?

trackback: https://twitter.com/yacy_search/status/ ... 0909167616
Orbiter

Re: User poll: feasible, but missing feature?

Beitragvon dClauzel » Fr Jan 30, 2015 1:33 am

Reducing memory footprint

When you index weekly a few websites which have a lot of new contents, YaCy eats a lot of memory and it never goes down.
dClauzel

Beitragvon Low012 » Fr Jan 30, 2015 11:02 pm

Responsive Web Design

Using YaCy via the browser of smartphones works, but there is definitely room for improvement. What's there at the moment is a good starting point I think, but the layout could need some tweaks here and there to make it easy to use on a small display.
Low012

Beitragvon oyvinds » Sa Jan 31, 2015 8:43 pm

Image search by size (small/medium/large) would be a nice feature to have - but that would require image search to actually work.

Image search not crashing half the time you search and most of the time when you click [2] to get the next page of images would be a nice "feature".

Images from sites blacklisted not showing up as black images in the image search results would also be a nice "feature".

Actually being able to use image search without logging in would also be a great "feature".

For regular search, actually useful search results would be a nice "feature". The way search results is sorted right now seems almost random - to put it mildly. What you are probably looking for & what other search engines place among the top 5 is almost never among the search results yacy presents (if search results even appear instead of yacy just crashing).

See a pattern here?

I would personally prefer to see the very basic functionality actually work as expected rather than see new half-baked barely working or not at all features. YaCy was a useless joke with no chance of getting attention from more than a minority of technically interested privacy-concerned people who dislike corporatism & fascism. Most people watch television and are so dumbed down and so brainwashed that they can not even manage to consider the idea that the whole "war of terror" was all false-flag operations and tv propaganda and they can't even being to consider that they are in a fascist police-state. This means that YaCy needs to be attractive to the masses out there in addition to those who have that rare quality called "ability to think". This is not the case today. Nobody will try YaCy and see the search "results" and experience how unable it is and what a resource-hog it is and think "yeah this is great, I'll use this and even run this on my own computer. My humble opinion is that that is what you should focus on. Make the basics work. Make it less demanding by default (it is better to have 100000 people crawl ten pages per minute than have 10 people crawl 200 pages per minute). Work on sorting and presentation of search results. Make it possible to put caps on things like disk usage, right now you can ask it to stop doing things when there is X MB harddrive space left - it would be better to be able to say "Limit yacy to 10 GB or 100 GB or whatever".

When a dedicated server with 4 cores and RAID10 and 8 GB RAM where 4 GB are dedicated to YaCy isn't enough then there is no way most people will install this thing on their desktop computers.

Go back to basics and make the basics work and then think about adding new things.
oyvinds

Beitragvon oyvinds » Mo Feb 02, 2015 9:04 pm

Looking at my IO right now I would like to see this "CollectionConfiguration" being able to take a XX ms pause between each step like you can configure with crawling and other things.

I 2015/02/02 20:25:11 CollectionConfiguration postprocessed 6500 from 14401 collection documents; 33 ppm; 232 minutes remaining

procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- -system-- ------cpu-----
r b swpd free buff cache si so bi bo in cs us sy id wa st
2 3 573408 240576 2924 2057264 0 0 145988 89 4310 1239 31 4 17 47 0
4 2 573408 257612 2884 2042716 0 0 104890 91 4907 1178 51 3 11 35 0
2 3 573408 217676 3140 2083664 0 0 147230 125 4228 1317 35 4 12 48 0
4 2 573404 255456 3344 2045872 1 0 126203 600 5734 1338 40 4 15 41 0

This CollectionConfiguration, unless you turn it off, will eat as much IO as it can and make the system do 40-50% iowait for hours and hours.

I would not mind this taking longer under less load as the alternative seems to be to set postprocessing.maximum_load to 0.5 (so it doesn't do this at all). If it did a wait between each document or every X documents then that would probably be a good thing.
oyvinds

Beitragvon smokingwheels » Do Feb 05, 2015 12:20 am

Have 2 install modes Typical and Advanced.

Typical: Would have no user decisions needed to run a peer to try out eg JNR Peer like current setup but no peer name or anything to configure.

Advanced: Similar to what is currently happening to an install of Yacy. eg SNR Peer
Option: to set Process Priority for Java VM in windows machines at setup.

Also a scheduled snapshot of all yacy's folders to be stored in another location in-case of a disaster.
smokingwheels

Beitragvon Winter_fox » Fr Apr 03, 2015 12:39 pm

Like oyvinds said. Yacy needs to be able to actually search stuff. Whenever I search something even after crawling the site I want yacy still returns a bunch of junk.
Winter_fox

Beitragvon smokingwheels » Mo Apr 06, 2015 10:25 am

Winter_fox hat geschrieben:Yacy needs to be able to actually search stuff. Whenever I search something even after crawling the site I want yacy still returns a bunch of junk.

Have you tried the /date option or button. Try * /date you will see what you have crawled.
smokingwheels

Beitragvon sbolokanov » So Apr 19, 2015 1:27 pm

I. A way to pause/unpause each crawl separately in Crawler Monitor.

II. Make Advanced Crawler in such a way that allows presets, both predefined and custom. This presets should have the default values for all options that are available.
a. Preset selector
b. Saving preset as a custom preset
sbolokanov

Beitragvon davide » Di Jun 16, 2015 12:50 pm

:arrow: Set max amount of documents per index and drop oldest documents upon crawl of new ones.

IIRC, there was a discussion upon how to sort this out, namely on how to determine which documents to drop: the ones with oldest creation date or with oldest access date. I would opt to drop the oldest created documents as that's an intuitive approach and won't cause bias on search results. It's just a mechanical behavior: First In, First Out.

--
May this wishlist thread rest in peace. Amen.
davide

Beitragvon karol » Di Jul 07, 2015 3:40 am

1 The world is mobile today yacy need a mobile version using yacy on mobile its just a very bad experience.

2 Real improvements to memory usage yacy love eats a lot of memory and never give back to system make all experience slow

3 Image search It has room for muchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh improvement here better search better results better thumbnails sometimes i dont have thumbs :D

4 Improvements to estability.

Thats is
karol

Zurück zu English