Translation (suggestion for the developers)

Discussion in English language.
Forumsregeln
You can start and continue with posts in english language in all other forums as well, but if you are looking for a forum to start a discussion in english, this is the right choice.

Translation (suggestion for the developers)

Beitragvon manjaro » Di Feb 10, 2015 6:56 pm

Hello all,

I'm translating YaCy to Portuguese (pt) and it's harder then it should be.
I've already made translations for other software, namely Manjaro Linux components (Octopi, pacman, etc) and it's much easier.
The use of .po language files instead of .lng makes a great difference, namely because if you use a site like Transifex a large number
of users can co-operate in the translation of the same file.
In the current situation no one is aware of what others are doing. Do you know how many of us are trying at the same time to
translate the .lng file into the same language?
I may be translating something that was already translated by someone else and that's a waste of time for all involved.
Transifex is a great solution because each language may be assigned to a mantainer and as many translators as necessary and
all in a coherent way.
YaCy being a Web search engine makes all sense to translate it into every possible language and in my humble opinion as fast
as possible so users have another alternative to Google (I use Duck Duck Go).
I don't know if it's possible to use ,po files with your code but it would be great if you could follow that approach.
I bet you would be astonished how fast YaCy would be translated to every available language worldwide.

I thank the developers for sharing with us all the result of their effort and hard work.

Best regards,
arcorreia

PS - I suggested .po because I can't find .lng in the list of formats supported by Transifex http://docs.transifex.com/developer/formats/
There is also an opensource and free (projects must pay Transifex, it's free only for translators) alternative that seems very promising http://zanata.org/
manjaro

Re: Translation (suggestion for the developers)

Beitragvon Low012 » Mi Feb 18, 2015 4:30 pm

Unfortunatley you are not the first person who makes a (very valid) complaint about the current state of the translation system.

The system is quite old already and has not been touched in years (Correct me if I'm wrong, anybody.). I had a look at it several months ago, but did not come up with any smart solution to improve it back then. You mentioned the .po format which is used by GNU gettext (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gettext). Without looking at the format any closer I see several advantages over the current system:

• it is a commonly used format which is supported by servcies like the ones you mentioned
  • gettext is well tested and there even is a free (Apache license) Java library
  • there are tools available for handling .po files (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gettext#See_also)

What I did not look at so far is if it works well with HTML (especially with fragments of documents and with non-standard elements which are used in the YacY template system).

Requirements for a new system which come to my mind right now:

• supports a commonly used file format
  • provides tools to create a list off all texts which need to be translated
  • provides tools to create some sort of diff or hints for translators to see which texts are new, have changed, or have been deleted in new versions of YaCy
  • nice to have: some sort of converter to turn old (current) translations into new format
Low012

Beitragvon manjaro » Fr Feb 20, 2015 12:36 am

Hi Low012,

I hope you can find answers for your questions because I think it can be used with html (zanata uses it to translate their website. As they are also an opensource project I suggest you contact them and ask for help regarding your doubts, we are a community so we are supposed to help each other). I suspect that other languages like java or php are used from inside the html code in order to get the translated strings.

Converting the old files to .po is probably not necessary. Use something like sed in unix/linux to get rid of everything to the right of the :: and sites like zanata will allow you to upload the file in .txt format (but I'm not 100% sure).

In linux there is also the option http://docs.translatehouse.org/projects/translate-toolkit/en/latest/commands/txt2po.html?id=toolkit/txt2po and I think there are file converters for windows too.

Best regards,
arcorreia
manjaro

Beitragvon Orbiter » Mi Feb 25, 2015 3:40 pm

I'm open for changes here. Please consider that you do the work yourself. Your work would be very welcome! All existing translations should be moved/imported to the new system.
Orbiter

Beitragvon wendelrj » Fr Sep 25, 2015 10:33 pm

Hi guys,

I'm trying translate yacy to Brazilian Portuguese language. I've already done 20 % of translation.

Is there any web site or tool to share my translation for other people improve it?
wendelrj

Beitragvon Orbiter » Do Okt 08, 2015 6:35 pm

Hey wendelrj,

sorry for my late answer, yes your work is very welcome!
To submit your work, please fork the yacy repository from https://github.com/yacy/yacy_search_server to your own repository, then push your changes into that and then open a merge request. I will then post our request for help on the @yacy_search twitter account and everyone can use+enhance your work.
Orbiter

Zurück zu English