Adopt English for forum language

Discussion in English language.
Forumsregeln
You can start and continue with posts in english language in all other forums as well, but if you are looking for a forum to start a discussion in english, this is the right choice.

Adopt English for forum language

Beitragvon davide » Mi Mär 18, 2015 12:49 am

I understand that this is probably a recognized and uncared for problem.
But just to byte the procrastination indolence and resurrect the problem, the forum should probably not be in German.

The project put great care on maximizing the aesthetic presentation of YaCy and the website, with graphics, videos and immersive tutorials.
Having the forum in German ruins the image of YaCy IMHO, and incentives the growth of a localized German community while deterring the formation, or growth, of a larger international community.
Keeping one small subsection of the forum for collecting the posts from "just all the other folks who don't speak our beloved Deutsch" is not beneficial, to my view, to the growth of the project.

What do you think?
davide

Re: Adopt English for forum language

Beitragvon TomHutch » Do Mär 19, 2015 1:31 am

I am completely biased but agree that a more universal language is English. If we learned nothing from the CCC that education transfer globally would be aided if we used a lingua franca like English.
TomHutch

Beitragvon YogliB » Di Mär 31, 2015 3:28 pm

I agree, I personally would like it to be an international project and community, and the German language doesn't make it easy for us...
YogliB

Beitragvon Orbiter » Di Mär 31, 2015 4:36 pm

This is the place where we started to discuss about YaCy: up to 30 developers all from Germany. For YEARS almost no foreign user appeared. There was no reason and no use to speak english here while inline-documentation was always in english.

This project is about freedom; freedom of information and freedom of speech. It's just natural that no dictate can be stated to everybody to use a specific language.

When more english users came, they looked for an english forum. Other people speak other languages; as it is not feasible to do integrate language forum sections for all the languages I recommended that X-speaking people should open their X-language forum. An english forum, maintained by an australian was set up but stayed a wasteland since it was badly maintained and finally full of spam. To rescure the situation, one english forum was integrated here.

My opinion about other language YaCy forums is still the same: please open your own forum and please maintain it, I will link it. But there is NO WAY that this forum should be turned into a english-speaking forum only by a dictate. Furthermore I like to remind you to respect other languages, in this case German, therefore you should not ask to stop using our mother language at all.
Orbiter

Beitragvon Low012 » Mo Apr 13, 2015 9:25 am

I asked the owner of the English forum mentioned by Orbiter (http://www.yacy-forum.org) some time ago if it was OK for him if I moved the forum to my webspace to have more control (e.g. updates, plugins) and he agreed. Unfortunately I never found the time to make the dump (which he provided to me to) work and all I can do at the moment is to delete spam whenever I see it due to limited resources (mainly time) on my side.

I think if there was somebody who is willing to take over the English forum or at least to take good care of it, it could become a nice place again.
Low012

Beitragvon smokingwheels » Do Apr 16, 2015 4:30 am

I would be happy to learn and remove the spam from the English forum.
I have a very basic understanding of a PHP forum.
I run 4 of my own on IIS with windows (snitz forum) ASP based.
I have the time but can't host it anywhere.
smokingwheels

Beitragvon Low012 » Di Apr 28, 2015 2:04 pm

You can contact the owner of http://www.yacy-forum.org/ by sending him a private message there, his nick is "am2605". Spam has decreased dramatically since a captcha was added.
Low012

Zurück zu English