Search for videos

Discussion in English language.
Forumsregeln
You can start and continue with posts in english language in all other forums as well, but if you are looking for a forum to start a discussion in english, this is the right choice.

Search for videos

Beitragvon bellie » Do Sep 17, 2015 9:58 pm

Hi,

Can i use Yacy for finding specific videos? I installed YaCy on my PC and let it crawl some interesesting Youtube videos. When i search for them afterwards to see if it works it can't find any videos..

Something i need to do to make it work?

Have been testing YaCy now for 3 days and i must say it is very hard to use and to understand how everything works.
bellie

Re: Search for videos

Beitragvon Orbiter » Fr Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am

When YaCy was created the was no youtube (creepy!) .. I admit that I never tried to crawl youtube. YaCy can identify links to video files and it provides a search option for this (you must switch on "Video" in /ConfigSearchPage_p.html ) but this is most probably not the right way to catch links to youtube. Please give this a try, however I consider this a problem to be solved as 'community portal scraping' which is implemented in loklak.org for tweets. We would need something similar for yourtube, I guess.
Orbiter

Beitragvon bellie » Fr Sep 18, 2015 8:34 pm

Hi,

I am sorry. Maybe i didn't express myself very well. I will try to make it easier:

Please tell me how to make anything appear on the video result page.
Bild
As you see in the screenshot i always get a empty page. No matter what i crawl or search....

Please give me a example url i can crawl so i can make a video appear in YaCy.

Thank you
bellie

Beitragvon bellie » Do Sep 24, 2015 11:28 am

When i first visited YaCy it looked like a great concept and it still is. But...
After spending 3 days using it and trying to find some answers. I have to forget about it:

- there are no well written instruction manuals
- there is no support or community to get answers
- looks like the whole project is a thing of the past

So looking for better solutions...clearly Yacy ain't it.
bellie

Beitragvon davide » Do Sep 24, 2015 12:59 pm

I think Yacy is currently incapable of indexing videos off Youtube or similar sites, as these don't expose actual video files, but flash streams thru custom algorithms.
To have videos in Yacy search results, you have to crawl pages containing html5 video tags or links to video files.
davide

Beitragvon bellie » Fr Sep 25, 2015 7:52 am

I tried indexing my own site which has also MP4 video files on it. These video files can easily be downloaded by a visitor. Still YaCy can't find them......

The searching of videos isn't important. I posted that question more to see if there is any support community. :oops:

I know enough. Going to use Sphider Plus instead.
bellie

Beitragvon davide » Fr Sep 25, 2015 9:54 am

No, that looks ridiculous, and is based upon the brainless mysql. To begin with, the Sphider FAQ itself reveals what kind of crashes are commonly encountered because of the underlying mysql defects.

For crawling a single website, you might have better luck with Open Search Server. Its indexer isn't as well context-aware as Yacy's though as it can only perform AND or OR queries, while Yacy ranks documents upon dozens of scores. Also, OSS consumes much more RAM, and AFAIK there are no proven OSS installations with indexes as large as the ones found in medium-size Yacy peers.

BTW, with the current Yacy version 1.83/9328 video search seems broken.
davide

Beitragvon smokingwheels » Mo Sep 28, 2015 1:33 pm

Try a search smokingwheels site:youtube.com
You have to index each video URL.Thats what I did.

Yacy can quirey loklak.org as an RSS feed so you can get them that way.

Let me know how you go.
smokingwheels

Zurück zu English