to rebuild - replace a damaged yacy.conf

Discussion in English language.
Forumsregeln
You can start and continue with posts in english language in all other forums as well, but if you are looking for a forum to start a discussion in english, this is the right choice.

to rebuild - replace a damaged yacy.conf

Beitragvon xioc752 » Fr Feb 19, 2016 2:18 am

Tired....
when crawls seemed too slow, I raised memory to 1200 on vps box with 2 GB RAM, Ubuntu 14.04 x86_64
on next reboot, it refused to start.

looking at /usr/share/yacy/DATA/SETTINGS
in yacy.conf - which starts...
# This is an automatically generated file, updated by serverAbstractSwitch and initialized by defaults/yacy.init

I downloaded, edited the memory down to 750 and uploaded it.
javastart_Xmx=Xmx750m
javastart_Xms=Xms750m

Unfortunately the file got badly damaged.
How do I regenerate it, please?
Lots of data inside...over a million docs
It is installed on a remote vps, Ubuntu, in daemon
Many thanks.
xioc752

Re: to rebuild - replace a damaged yacy.conf

Beitragvon luc » Fr Feb 19, 2016 9:19 am

Hello,
I suggest you simply delete your yacy.conf file. It will be regenerated with its default values, as stated in Settings_p.html page (System Administration > Advanced Settings).
I verified with my small YaCy peer and it works fine.
luc

Beitragvon xioc752 » Fr Feb 19, 2016 10:04 am

Hello,
I tried that - erasing the yacy.conf file
It too a long time and many attempts, reboots, resets of the server, etc., to push it into action, but after a few hours it worked!
Many Thanks! :D
Have a Great Day!
Zuletzt geändert von xioc752 am Fr Feb 19, 2016 11:16 am, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
xioc752

Beitragvon luc » Fr Feb 19, 2016 11:12 am

Did you have a look at LOG/yacy00.log file? It would be interesting to check if something is written (eventually errors) when you try to start YaCy.

How do you know your yacy.conf file was damaged? Maybe some other key files were also damaged...

Alternatively, I guess you can try to use content of yacy.init (https://github.com/yacy/yacy_search_ser ... /yacy.init) to manually fill your yacy.conf file.
luc

Beitragvon xioc752 » Fr Feb 19, 2016 11:19 am

Thank you for the added tips...
I will read them... Good to know for the future...
Yes, it was the config file that was damaged, I know from the process followed.
You have been very helpful! :D
Many thanks to you, too!

Question: How much memory can be safely assigned to the JVM say for a vps with 2GB running on Ubuntu?
How to calculate this, please?
xioc752

Beitragvon luc » Fr Feb 19, 2016 11:40 am

You're welcome!

You can run this command on your Ubuntu instance before starting YaCy and after starting any other application or service you usually need : free -h
Thus you will see how much memory is already used, how much is free and if swap is eventually used. I think you can safely assign to YaCy JVM the total amount of free memory, minus say some 100 or 200MB to be sure.
luc

Beitragvon xioc752 » Fr Feb 19, 2016 4:05 pm

HI..thanks for the suggestion!
Here is what I got...
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 2.0G 71M 1.9G 3.8M 0B 40M
-/+ buffers/cache: 31M 2.0G
Swap: 1.0G 0B 1.0G

In your experienced opinion, please, how much is still available, all thing considered?
It is running at 750m, now, but it is painfully slow...almost stopping, many times.
In fact, sometimes it will not open a browser window, at all, though the daemon notice displays when started from the command line with ./startYACY.sh in Ubuntu. It displays various out of memory notices.
Many thanks!
xioc752

Beitragvon luc » Sa Feb 20, 2016 1:26 am

The more memory you can assign for your YaCy peer, the best it will behave. I think you can safely and should at least run it with 1500MB.

What precise version of YaCy do you run (you will find it in /Status.html, YaCy version line)?
I had similar memory performance problems not so long ago when running with memory below 1024MB (see http://mantis.tokeek.de/view.php?id=626). For me the problem mainly occured when storing large documents metadata from remote peers.
If you run last YaCy versions, you can now "Limit size of indexed remote results" in /ConfigPortal.html page. When limiting to 1000KB, it worked for my peer and allowed me to run YaCy with 600MB of memory.
You may also want to remove too large documents from your index : see IndexDeletion_p.html page, "Delete by Solr Query"
For example, such a query will delete documents with more than 10000 embedded links : inboundlinkscount_i:[10000 TO *] AND inboundlinks_urlstub_sxt:[* TO *]
luc

Zurück zu English