Desktop or server?

Discussion in English language.
Forumsregeln
You can start and continue with posts in english language in all other forums as well, but if you are looking for a forum to start a discussion in english, this is the right choice.

Desktop or server?

Beitragvon kabads » Fr Okt 28, 2016 12:37 pm

I've just joined the network (ran it for about an hour a couple of years ago, but couldn't see the point). However, returned with some renewed interest in the project and what it can do. I'm a little disappointed that there aren't that many other peers (~400 atm). Would it be better to run this on a server almost continually? I have a spare raspberrypi but seem to recall that it's quite hard getting java on these critters (or a jvm that works well with something like yacy). Does anyone else use yacy like this? Or is it better to spin up a digital ocean instance and run it from there? What do people think?
kabads

Re: Desktop or server?

Beitragvon luc » Di Nov 29, 2016 6:34 pm

Hi kabads, if you let run continuously a YaCy peer you will see the total number of connected peer varies depending on hours of the day on a regular basis. But as far as know the 'principal' and 'active senior' peers number is quite stable, around a few hundreds.
Running your peer 24 hours a day will probably not let your peer reach a greater total peers number at a time, but this way you will support the network, and your peer will gather more diverse chunks from the globally distributed index.

Given the current size of the network, if you have some basic technical skills, to my mind it makes sense to run continuously a server on a dedicated machine, being either a physical one or a virtual machine hosted somewhere you trust. And what's more, this way it won't consume resources on your daily used computer/laptop/mobile hardware...

Best regards
luc

Beitragvon biolizard89 » Mi Dez 07, 2016 2:26 am

luc hat geschrieben:Given the current size of the network, if you have some basic technical skills, to my mind it makes sense to run continuously a server on a dedicated machine, being either a physical one or a virtual machine hosted somewhere you trust. And what's more, this way it won't consume resources on your daily used computer/laptop/mobile hardware...

Worth noting that hosting a significant number of YaCy instances in VPS providers causes the network to become more centralized. This may be a necessary evil in some cases (a lot of computers can't really run YaCy), but it's still an evil.
biolizard89

Beitragvon luc » Mi Dez 07, 2016 2:58 pm

Good point biolizard89, considering there is not that much choice for VPS providers. But I think we can still find some ones managed by small and even non-profit organizations... In the end I agree it is a better choice to own your hardware, and know the software it runs.
luc

Beitragvon bubul » Do Dez 15, 2016 9:22 pm

i run yacy on a server :

http://109.238.10.103:8090/index.html

It can run on debian linux:
http://www.yacy-websuche.de/wiki/index. ... _on_Debian

From ikoula now with reduction code (-50%):
https://express.ikoula.com/fr/serveur-dedie

Green G3900 :
1 CPU (2C/2T) @2,8 GHz 8 Go DDR4 2 To SATA 3
bubul