YaCy on the Raspberry Pi

Discussion in English language.
Forumsregeln
You can start and continue with posts in english language in all other forums as well, but if you are looking for a forum to start a discussion in english, this is the right choice.

YaCy on the Raspberry Pi

Beitragvon marcdraco » Di Jan 10, 2017 2:12 pm

I found these instructions on the Wiki:

http://www.yacy-websearch.net/wiki/inde ... spberry_Pi

but there is already a Debian-based distro that comes with an optimised setup so you don't have to remove a lot of crap before you get cracking with your search portal!

DietPi: http://dietpi.com/

I'm about to try YaCy on a Pi3 (wish me luck!) using this excellent distro and if would be great if a few more of you are able to join me. DietPi already handles a bunch of stuff for me including my entire music and video library, radio, advert blocking (PiHole) and a bunch of other stuff. Decentralised search is more important than ever before and if we can get a few more people to join us with the Pi (and if it works) we can potentially build an open appliance to take the web back from the Google cancer.

EDIT: Well it worked (using the Debian installer - the instructions on the Wiki are way out of date). Predictably perhaps, bloody Java sent the poor little quad-core ARM7 spinning up so hard it hit 67C before I chickened out and hit the brakes. I've ordered some coolers so I can give it another go though. All that said, it seemed to work rather well, but I won't know for sure until it's been running for at least 24 hours without a hitch.

I wish someone would convert it to a better language like RUST, C or C++. I've never really understood why people think Java is suitable for these tasks: portable it may be, but efficient it aint!
marcdraco

Re: YaCy on the Raspberry Pi

Beitragvon luc » Di Jan 10, 2017 8:09 pm

Hi marcdraco, dont' hesitate to update the wiki instructions with your own experience.

Regarding Java efficiency : IMHO performance issues are not so much tied to a programming language or another... Solr or ElasticSearch are examples of Java projects dedicated to indexing and are not really exotic choices for these tasks. What's more adopting Java has other advantages than portability, one example can be its extended core library (the JDK).

But of course, in a better world there would be multiple implementations of YaCy concepts in many languages ;)
luc

Beitragvon marcdraco » Mi Jan 11, 2017 2:27 pm

I'm not great with Wiki's Luc (I'm so old I started programming while we were just phasing out punched cards).

Actually, the debian package pretty much did everything on its own - it's case of

* Make a fresh install of DietPi (dietpi.com) for your SBC. (You're probably going to want a hard drive to.)
* Let it update, etc.
* Change the swapfile size to something a little larger - perhaps 600Mb (this is all available via DietPi's menus).
* Install YaCy from the debian package - that makes sure you get the right JVM.
* Optionally: link the YaCy store to the hard drive. I used a large (128Gb) MicroSD for my test.
* Stick a fork in it, it's done! :)

If you're using a Pi or similar, put a BIG cooler on that beast. There's a lovely metal case over at DietPi that will do the trick and allow the machine to throttle up to 1.2GHz 100% of the time without getting hot enough to keep your granny's feet toasty.
marcdraco

Beitragvon _44-4N_26-1E_ » Mo Feb 06, 2017 6:09 pm

Greetings to all,

Last week I did a sucessful manual Headless install of yacy 1.92 on Raspberry Pi B+ using Raspian "Jessie"
using online instructions

http://www.yacy-websearch.net/wiki/inde ... spberry_Pi

everything seems to work ok. But it is a bit clunky (slow).

I am guessing that the main choke point is available RAM.
I will try a new install using DietPi to see what I can get in the way of perfomance.

I want a yacy install that can sit on a low power board and run 24/7

Best Regards from the center of the multiverse
_44-4N
_44-4N_26-1E_

Beitragvon smokingwheels » So Mär 12, 2017 11:52 am

The " sudo apt-get dist-upgrade " is important because it reduces the memory required.

Try " sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jre-headless " Java, it supports multi-core processors if that's what you have.

I would also install these 3 to clone from " git clone https://github.com/yacy/yacy_search_server "

sudo apt-get -y install git

sudo apt-get -y install ant

sudo apt-get -y install curl

A Big swap file like 2Gb is worth doing. That way you can push the CPU Load Higher without it loosing the plot..
smokingwheels

Re: YaCy on the Raspberry Pi-3B (ARM8 Quad Core)

Beitragvon _44-4N_26-1E_ » Mo Mär 13, 2017 10:50 am

Re: YaCy on the Raspberry Pi-3B (ARM8 Quad Core 1GB RAM)

Greetings to all

I have been wanting to use YaCy as my primary search engine for years. To make that wish into a reality,

I bought a Raspberry Pi 3 to run YaCy 24/7 connected to my cable modem like an appliance.

DietPi V145 Running java jdk8 works very fine running YaCy. 1.92. It is a dream come true.

Now all I need is to find some good documentation on how to get the most out of YaCy.

For example, I would like to know how to move the directory structure around so that I could get YaCy to save its data to one of my larger capacity usb drives.

Right now I am getting an error message that I do not know how to fix.

Free memory is lower than 50 MB. DHT-in has been disabled. Please fix it as soon as possible and restart YaCy.

Crawling is paused! If the crawling was paused automatically, please check your disk space.

Best Regards
_44-4N_26-1E_

Beitragvon luc » Do Mär 23, 2017 8:54 am

Hello _44-4N_26-1E_,
maybe this will help you : I detailed on another thread possible steps to move your YaCy data folder to another partition.

Best regards
luc

Zurück zu English