Need help with reaching peer from outside. Bug?

Discussion in English language.
Forumsregeln
You can start and continue with posts in english language in all other forums as well, but if you are looking for a forum to start a discussion in english, this is the right choice.

Need help with reaching peer from outside. Bug?

Beitragvon paul89 » Mo Mär 13, 2017 11:57 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a spare linux (ubuntu) server that's been online for few years and I thought it would make an excellent crawler/Yacy node. I installed and configured the machine - everything according to the YouTube video. Nearly everything works perfectly.

One major problem: "Your peer cannot be reached from outside (which is not fatal, but would be good for the YaCy network); please open your firewall for this port and/or set a virtual server option in your router to allow connections on this port. Opening a router port is not a YaCy-specific task; you can see instruction videos everywhere in the internet, just search for Open Ports on a <our-router-type> Router and add your router type as search term. However: if you fail to open a router port, you can nevertheless use YaCy with full functionality, the only function that is missing is on the side of the other YaCy users because they cannot see your peer."

The problem: I do not have any type of firewall on the system (I'm 100% certain), and the machine is on DMZ with 8090 open, guaranteed. There is no firewall on the router, and nothing is blocking the port. CanYouSeeMe.org verifies that the port is open, and just about any port scanner says the same. Yet I'm unable to contribute my crawl to the network.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
paul89

Re: Need help with reaching peer from outside. Bug?

Beitragvon luc » Di Mär 14, 2017 6:46 pm

Hi paul89,
do you get something when you try the URL
Code: Alles auswählen
http://[host]:[port]/yacy/hello.html
for example in a browser, and replacing host and port exactly with what is displayed in your /Status.html page at "Public Address:"?
luc

Beitragvon paul89 » Do Mär 16, 2017 9:48 pm

Yes, I reach a page with my IP, version, uptime and other info.
I even checked iptables - it's not running, the port is open.
paul89

Beitragvon irnerio » Sa Mär 18, 2017 9:49 am

The same problem here.

version=1.92 uptime=6300 yourip=myipnumber yourtype=virgin mytime=20170318083932 message=no post or no enviroment

I'd like to share my index with other peers without receiving (it's a specific topic search engine).

Kind regards.

Mario
irnerio

Beitragvon luc » Fr Mär 24, 2017 9:15 am

Hi do you still encounter this problem?
If so I suggest you to have a look at your logs (yacy*.log files in DATA/LOG) and to search for lines containing "seed-list URL" : there should at least be some lines like "...YACY BOOTSTRAP: N seeds from seed-list URL http://somePeer...
Looking for log lines containing "yacyClient.hello" or "hello/client" could also be instructive.
luc

Beitragvon paul89 » Fr Mär 24, 2017 9:13 pm

I looked through the files - I'm still stuck. I checked the logs and with the string "yacyClient.hello" I usually get these errors:

exception: Client can't execute: Connection refused duration=163 for url http://...

as well as ping errors, "network unreachable" and etc. Each error is different, and it does not bring me any closer to diagnosing the issue. If I can't get it up and running, I think I'll shut down the service soon. Too bad, it would have been fun.
paul89

Beitragvon luc » Fr Mär 24, 2017 9:31 pm

For sure it's annoying. What is strange is that your peer can crawl websites, but apparently can not reach other YaCy peers...
Do you get "remote" results when you search something, or only "local" results from your own peer?

By the way, if you whish to give here or by private message your peer hostname or IP, maybe I could find a way to understand what's going wrong.
luc

Beitragvon irnerio » So Mär 26, 2017 11:18 am

luc hat geschrieben:Hi do you still encounter this problem?
If so I suggest you to have a look at your logs (yacy*.log files in DATA/LOG) and to search for lines containing "seed-list URL" : there should at least be some lines like "...YACY BOOTSTRAP: N seeds from seed-list URL http://somePeer...
Looking for log lines containing "yacyClient.hello" or "hello/client" could also be instructive.

I have a specific topic search portal so I'd like to share my index without receiving from the outside world. Is it possible to setup a one way option ?

Kind regards

Mario
irnerio

Beitragvon luc » Mo Mär 27, 2017 8:03 am

I have a specific topic search portal so I'd like to share my index without receiving from the outside world. Is it possible to setup a one way option

To my mind this is the meaning of the "Search portal for your own web pages" setting in /ConfigBasic.html ("Robinson Mode" in /ConfigNetwork_p.html) : your peer is know by other peers, answers to search requests and has its index shared through the /solr/select api. Of course it also exposes itself as an OpenSearch system trough the descriptor at /opensearchdescription.xml.

If you started your peer in Peer To Peer mode ("Community-based web search" setting in /ConfigBasic.html) and already indexed data, you can also disable "Index Receive" in the /ConfigNetwork_p.html page.
luc

Beitragvon paul89 » Di Mär 28, 2017 8:54 pm

Yes, I can see the results from other peers. Any keyword that I type in, I get results from the "freeworld" network. I simply cannot contribute and I cannot be seen. :/
Here's the DDNS URL: mountainchalet.dlinkddns.com; the IP address of the server is 98.177.212.167.

I can make the machine work password-less, if that will help in troubleshooting. Please let me know.
paul89

Beitragvon luc » Mi Mär 29, 2017 8:48 am

Ok finally I think we got it!
The problem is that when you set "Protection of all pages" to "On" in the /ConfigAccounts_p.html page, it effectively prevents visiting every pages of your peer, including those used for peer-to-peer communication such as /yacy/hello.html... I checked on my peers with this setting, and yes after restart they pass in the so called "Junior" mode.
I guess you previously had a result when requesting your own /yacy/hello.html because credentials were in your browser cache. But when I requested it on your peer from my browser, I got the authentication popup.

So I would suggest you to just set this to Off and restart your peer, that should then hopefully be reachable by others.

I don't know if this was the initial intent of the "Protection of all pages", but for sure it should at least be clarified in the page that setting this to "On" prevents running YaCy in Senior mode...
luc

Beitragvon paul89 » Mo Apr 24, 2017 9:05 pm

Holy smokes! This actually solved it! Wonderful!!! Yacy uptime: 31 days, server uptime: up 993 days, 2:52 :) Happy to contribute!
PS. Sorry for the late reply, I was traveling. Thank you once again for the answer, luc!
paul89

Beitragvon luc » Mi Mai 17, 2017 8:07 am

Hello, for information I pushed a fix available on latest GitHub sources.
So you can now use again this "Protection of all page" feature and being reached by other peers when running from latest sources, or when upgrading to the next available YaCy release.
luc

Zurück zu English