Decentralized forums with Yacy - MetaNet

Discussion in English language.
Forumsregeln
You can start and continue with posts in english language in all other forums as well, but if you are looking for a forum to start a discussion in english, this is the right choice.

Decentralized forums with Yacy - MetaNet

Beitragvon ircamb » Di Dez 26, 2017 8:23 pm

The idea is a decentralized forum that works with the help of Yacy or any other search engine.

Forums would essentially be categorized by a tag in a webpage's metadata (like a hashtag).
Everyone could post to any forum simply by creating a page with text and adding the appropriate tag to the pages metadata (#cars #pets #jobs #movies #questions ....) The average person could use Wordpress or any other CMS to make this easier.

Instead of having to browse a centralized forum, one would use Yacy to search for a "hashtag" and order the results by date. The results should show posts and responses by everyone while eliminating spammers since the search engine will be less likely to index posts with low value.

To respond to a "forum post" of this kind anyone else could simply write a response on their own website with the same forum tag in the metadata and also an identifier in the metadata linking the response to the original post (perhaps the url of the original post).

To "follow" someone we can use good old RSS or Atom feeds that seem to be very under appreciated lately.

This approach provides decentralized and censorship resistant forums with already existing tools instead of requiring the development specialized software such as Diaspora, Steem, GNUsocial and other decentralized social networking projects.

I believe the main difficulty will be for a large enough group to agree on how exactly to tag posts and responses in the metadata.

For this I have created the github project "Metanet" https://github.com/Cam-B/MetaNet

I would like to know what others think. Please share your ideas. :D
ircamb

Re: Decentralized forums with Yacy - MetaNet

Beitragvon luc » Mi Dez 27, 2017 9:22 am

Hi ircamb,
did you have a look at some of these pages :
- W3C note on Social Web Protocols
- the IndieWeb community, notably its reply page
- the h-entry microformat

I guess there is there almost everything needed for decentralized discussions, being either standards, agreement on formats by many people, or rendering software implementations.

To my mind the next questions to explore can be :
- does YaCy currently properly interact with these already existing formats?
- should it be improved and to which extend ?
- is it the appropriate place for a search engine to render decentralized discussion threads, and how exactly should it be rendered?
luc

Beitragvon ircamb » Fr Dez 29, 2017 8:14 pm

Hi Luc.

Thank you very much for these links. They were very helpful. :D
Microformats is exactly the type of metadata I was trying to describe and from what I can tell there are already all of the tags required for decentralized forums, videos, markets and such.

You are right. We can move forward and explore further options now.

- does YaCy currently properly interact with these already existing formats?

I'm not finding any documentation regarding Microformats with Yacy. I will ask on the Github page.

- should it be improved and to which extend ?

I think at first we should work on making it possible for Yacy to list comments/replies, ratings, videos and items for sale. (in that order)

- is it the appropriate place for a search engine to render decentralized discussion threads, and how exactly should it be rendered?

While many users might prefer a more direct approach to discussions with friends, I do believe that a search engine based approach is necessary for more decentralized and censorship resistant discussions (questions and answers) between "strangers". I also think that the search engine approach helps with cross network compatibility.

I think as long as we can have Yacy list search results according to their microformats tag then creating different UI's for different use cases would be quite simple.

For example it would be very exciting to be able to search for "exampleURL.com/of-a-post" <h-reply>
And this would then list all replies/comments that Yacy has found. Someone running their own Yacy node would usually crawl his friends pages first, therefore indexing his friends comments periodically before search for more comments by strangers.

I'll continue to update Metanet with our new findings. https://github.com/Cam-B/MetaNet
The main project site is https://odat.xyz
ircamb

Beitragvon ircamb » Sa Dez 30, 2017 7:10 am

I was just thinking that the standards of Schema.org should probably also be used since they are already in use by an even larger number of pages.
ircamb

Zurück zu English