YaCy Release 1.90

Forum for developers

YaCy Release 1.90

Beitragvon Orbiter » Mo Jul 04, 2016 12:15 pm

Today I released YaCy 1.90 and made a large step from 1.83 to 1.90 because of the long time since 1.82 and the huge amount of work that was made since then, now mainly from reger and sixcooler.

If you have a look at the github graphs https://github.com/yacy/yacy_search_ser ... ntributors then it becomes obvious that reger almost took over development in the last year.

devwork.png
devwork.png (57.32 KiB) 2078-mal betrachtet

Thank you reger for your amazing work!
Orbiter

Re: YaCy Release 1.90

Beitragvon Orbiter » Mo Jul 04, 2016 12:18 pm

One thing is missing in this release: a framework App for Mac. I was not able to get this together. The old wrapper cannot be used since Oracle changed something and the Mac OS starts now java in a different way.

Can somebody try to find out how to create a new Mac App wrapper?
Please help and post a solution here!
Orbiter

Beitragvon luc » Mo Jul 04, 2016 4:46 pm

Hi, JavaFX now provides an ant packaging task including Mac OS as a target : self-contained-packaging
Maybe this can help? Unfortunately I can not check this before next Friday when I can have a MacBook available.

Edit : looking a little more deeply at JavaFX packaging tools, it looks like it could indeed be useful, but probably not with current YaCy sources structure (see Classpath related issues encountered when trying to package a one runnable jar for a Java Web Start version of YaCy)

Edit 2: I am still interested to have a look at this, but anyone who want to handle this is still welcome, as I will likely only have time and access to a recent MaCBook in August...
luc

Beitragvon luc » Mi Aug 24, 2016 3:35 pm

Hi @Orbiter , I propose a solution for packaging YaCy 1.90 for MacOS in Pull Request 68.

Best regards,
Luc
luc

Beitragvon Orbiter » Fr Aug 26, 2016 10:55 am

Hi luc, I tested your changes and it works perfectly! This is great! Finally we have a mac release again!

Thank you very much!

There is only one thing which is not working (but I don't know if that worked before): you cannot start the mac release out of the write-protected dmg drive. YaCy should not write anywhere there, so that should work, but it does not. Is there any way to make that working as well?
Orbiter

Beitragvon luc » Fr Aug 26, 2016 3:29 pm

Hello, indeed YaCy is writing its DATA folder inside its own YaCy.app/Contents/MacOS folder, so this can not work from a write protected parent container.
I still have a YaCY 1.82 MacOS release and it is working this way... I didn't check the standard MacOS policy regarding where to write app data. Do you think writing data directly to an app package is bad practice?
If so I think we can choose explicitly the DATA folder when launching startYACY.sh with "-startup [folder_path_relative_to_user_home]" options...
luc

Beitragvon Orbiter » Sa Aug 27, 2016 11:19 pm

My last knowledge about the data folder on Mac OS X is, that the YaCy Mac app wrote it's data folder to ~/Library/YaCy/DATA
That is also documented in http://www.yacy-websuche.de/wiki/index. ... FirstStart
I don't know where that changed. But I consider that this would be a good practice. Is that possible?

I believe the fact that we have a Mac release again is a very good reason to have another main release soon with it!
Orbiter

Beitragvon luc » Di Aug 30, 2016 5:34 pm

Ok, this makes sense with the official OS X documentation, which more exactly recommands to store app data files in ~/Library/Application Support/com.example.MyApp/

I should have some time to implement and test this modification in the coming days, and let you know once everything works fine!
luc

Beitragvon Orbiter » Mi Aug 31, 2016 3:52 pm

great!
Orbiter

Beitragvon luc » Sa Sep 03, 2016 4:46 pm

Hey @Orbiter, I applied the modifications related to DATA storage on MacOS and fixed what was needed. All details are in Pull Request 72.
Everything should now work fine with the MacOS bundle!
luc

Beitragvon Orbiter » Mi Sep 07, 2016 2:36 pm

Hi luc, sorry for the delay, I just tested an 'ant clean all distMacApp' without changes and it is working beautifully!
I checked the location of the storage path in ~/Library: you choosed the path ~/Library/Application Support/net.yacy.YaCy/DATA for the data folder.
This is different from the previous path as described in the wiki but I think it is a well-choosen path. It will give us the opportunity to use the paths net.yacy.YaCy_X (...name not yet known...) once we have 'YaCy2'-Components, and we will have many of them (!). So lets keep this. Good work!

This is so good that we should have another release soon. Any emergency task to be done before it?
Orbiter

Zurück zu YaCy Coding & Architecture