github bin releases

Forum for developers

github bin releases

Beitragvon reger » Do Nov 03, 2016 12:01 am

How about if we make the github YaCy releases complete (startable / runnable) releases.
The only real part missing is just the lib/yacycore.jar (and of course htroot *.class)

Has anyone tried already if it is a hassle to add files to the right location in a github release ?

By design, github seems to allow/promote complete (bin) releases

see https://help.github.com/categories/releases/
with the note on that page:
We don't limit the total size of your binary release files, nor the bandwidth used to deliver them. However, each individual file must be under 2 GB in size.

I like it, as it comes in W. friendly zip format along with tar.gz (and could be a additional update target)
reger

Re: github bin releases

Beitragvon luc » Fr Nov 04, 2016 8:53 am

Hi reger, I also recently saw that some projects such as the Nu Html Checker provide a complete set of binary files with their GitHub releases.

I didn't test the release creation process, but I also think it would be a good idea to provide this additional download URL.
luc

Beitragvon luc » Do Dez 15, 2016 11:43 am

Hello, I experimented a bit more with the process by creating a release on my own YaCy fork (Release_1.91.9411-alpha). The process is really simple, and as you can see the release include the usual sources packages but also the tar.gz and debian binary files I added. The most problematic part would finally to have MS Windows, Mac OS and Linux build machines if we would like to include binaries for these platforms and not only a cross platform standard tar.gz or zip.

So what about releasing minor versions of YaCy binary builds on a more regular basis?

I also tested if the release page could be used as an alternative update location, by adding a
Code: Alles auswählen
network.unit.update.location3 = http://github.com/luccioman/yacy_search_server/releases
line in the defaults/yacy.network.freeworl.unit of a 1.90 peer. YaCy updater effectively find my alpha release... but unfortunately, with 1.90 and also with latest current code it doesn't work. Worse, it seems to work but indeed fails and lets YaCy in a state where it can no more boot. The root cause is that for some reason, downloading the release with a browser works, but YaCy updater is rejected : GitHub redirects to Amazon S3 (correctly handled by YaCy HTTPClient), but then returns a HTTP 403 status.
The next steps to fix are the following :
- HTTP 403 status is ignored and YaCy creates a DATA/RELEASE/...tar.gz file containing the HTTP message
- The install button is then enabled : when launching the install process, tar.gz extraction failure is ignored and the update script is launched, deleting all the YaCY lib/*.jar files, then preventing any restart...

To conclude, using the GitHub release page as an alternative update location looks promising, but some work is still needed ;)

Best regards
Luc
luc

Beitragvon luc » Fr Dez 16, 2016 8:48 pm

Good news : all the previously mentioned issues are now fixed.

Consequently, setting the YaCy GitHub release page as an additional update location should be possible!

Dear maintainer, when will be released that awaited 1.91 version?
luc

Beitragvon Orbiter » Mo Dez 26, 2016 1:52 pm

luc, that is a great idea and I was more than extremely lazy in the last time while you and reger worked hard.
If you want to provide the unstable releases using your github account, I will be very happy to support that.
I just added your update location but that was possibly a bit too early, as:
Code: Alles auswählen
E 2016/12/26 13:48:34 UNTAR failed
java.io.IOException: Error detected parsing the header
   at org.apache.commons.compress.archivers.tar.TarArchiveInputStream.getNextTarEntry(TarArchiveInputStream.java:286)
   at net.yacy.utils.tarTools.unTar(tarTools.java:74)
   at net.yacy.peers.operation.yacyRelease.deployRelease(yacyRelease.java:477)
   at Steering.respond(Steering.java:83)
Orbiter

Beitragvon Orbiter » Mo Dez 26, 2016 2:05 pm

oh ok, just checked that this error only comes with the 1.90 main release which does not have your latest fix in the http redirect. With your fix it works just fine.
That means your release will only be available for the public after a main release. I will work on that.
Orbiter

Beitragvon Orbiter » Di Dez 27, 2016 3:00 am

..and I made the main release 1.92 including this update location
Orbiter

Beitragvon luc » Di Dez 27, 2016 10:51 am

Hi Orbiter, great to read you again on this forum!

Thank you for your confidence, I hope this won't concentrate too much responsibility on one developer account, and that reger or other active developers will not hesitate to remind me if in the future if a new developer release would have to be build.

Have a nice day
luc

Zurück zu YaCy Coding & Architecture