Whitelist

Ideen und Vorschläge sind willkommen.

Whitelist

Beitragvon tinkerphone » Di Okt 14, 2014 2:23 pm

Hi,
i really get too much crap into my index by other peers. Blacklisting is nice depending on what role you want to give to your server. I would like to narrow it down a lot. I failed to use Regex for "exclude beside" aka whitelisting.
With a whitelist i could still exchange DHTs -> Robinson with DHT

Maybe there could be the option of having a whitelist? It would be a nice feature (at last for me) :)

Thanks
tinkerphone

Re: Whitelist

Beitragvon Orbiter » Di Okt 14, 2014 2:57 pm

we found that whitelists are impracticable in some way, i.e. chances that you put something in your whitelist is the same as someone sends to you are really small, considering the size of the web. I would recommend that you turn the whitelist you have in mind into a crawl-list which you start on your peer and then close the incoming connections completely which you can do in /ConfigNetwork_p.html by removal of the flag "Index Receive". This turns your peer into a halve-robinson: your peer distributes the index you created to other peers (your peer keeps a copy!) but your peer is still available for search from other peers.
Orbiter

Beitragvon tinkerphone » Di Okt 14, 2014 3:07 pm

Orbiter hat geschrieben:..snip.. I would recommend that you turn the whitelist you have in mind into a crawl-list which you start on your peer and then close the incoming connections completely which you can do in /ConfigNetwork_p.html by removal of the flag "Index Receive". This turns your peer into a halve-robinson: your peer distributes the index you created to other peers (your peer keeps a copy!) but your peer is still available for search from other peers.

Hi,
this sentence
This works only if you have a senior peer. The DHT-rules do not work without this function.
stopped me from using your recommended setup. I thought "Index Distribution | This enables automated, DHT-ruled Index Transmission to other peers." is affected by this option?!

If not, it is great news for me!
tinkerphone

Beitragvon Orbiter » Di Okt 14, 2014 3:28 pm

hm, the sentence "The DHT-rules do not work without this function" is maybe misleading and actually not very specific. Well, the DHT traffic has two sides: a sender and a receiver, and this is where you may decide if you want to contibute as sender and/or receiver. It is totally acceptable that peer owner switch off one or both of these sides (on their side) and if the switch off both, they become a so-called 'robinson peer', but stays in the network. Even robinson peers can be searched by other peer. In your case you would just switch of the receiver part and therefore that would leave an 'acceptable gap' in the DHT because sending peers would just turn to the next 'redundant' peers (we have a three-fold redundancy). That means: switching off your DHT-in will not harm the network, but it will also remove your ability to search in the p2p network because that is also an incoming of indexes from other peers.
Orbiter

Beitragvon tinkerphone » Di Okt 14, 2014 3:44 pm

Orbiter hat geschrieben:..snip ..That means: switching off your DHT-in will not harm the network, but it will also remove your ability to search in the p2p network because that is also an incoming of indexes from other peers.

Well, i think i will try your recommend setup. However not having the ability to search within the p2p is not what i want. I have no problem getting "unwanted" results if i search the network, i just don´t want to contribute storage to stuff i am not interested in. Aka: My books are your books, and your books are my books. But don´t put your books on my shelf. (with whitelist (unless i have a dedicated shelf for them) ;)
tinkerphone

Zurück zu Wunschliste